Aromatherapy in India
Aromatherapy: An alternative medicine for physical well being
Ever noticed the effect a fragrant flower has on your system, how it uplifts your mood and makes you feel good. Aromatherapy is a form of alternate medicine which employs natural oils in healing or preventing an ailment. It is the therapeutic use of the concentrated natural oils extracted from flowers, barks, roots, stems, leaves and other parts of a plant to enhance psychological and physical wellbeing. The aroma inhaled from these aromatherapy essential oils stimulates the brain function. These aromatherapy oils can be absorbed through the skin also, from where they enter the blood stream and travel throughout the body promoting whole body healing. It is used for a variety of applications such as psychological and physical well-being, mood enhancement, pain relief, anxiety reduction, insomnia, blood pressure, menstrual pains, depression, constipation, skin disorders, relaxation, hair loss prevention, increased cognitive function etc. Aromatherapy can be used as a complementary therapy along with the standard treatment. The aromatherapy essential oils can be administered through massage, inhalation, topical application, water immersion etc. for getting the desired effect on the problem.
The essential oils have been in use for therapeutic, spiritual, hygienic and ritualistic purposes for centuries now. The aromatic plants have been used for their healing, preservative and pleasurable qualities for ages in the form of incense, oils, resins, ointments etc. There are a wide number of essential oils available, each having its own healing properties therefore each one is used for different purpose. Some of the commonly used essential oils used in aromatherapy include-
- Lavender – has a wide range of medicinal and cosmetic applications such as burns, respiratory infections, nausea, migraine, insomnia, depression, stress etc.
- Roman chamomile – has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, used to treat earache, menstrual pains, depression, skin disorders etc.
- Myrtle- is a fungicide and antibacterial used for whooping cough, bronchitis and other respiratory infections.
- Peppermint- used for stomach disorders.
- Neroli- used for treating insomnia, sore throat, stress and anxiety.
- Clary sage- used to regulate menstrual cycle, treat oily skin and hair, control high blood pressure and improves mood.
- Tea tree- is bactericidal, fungicidal, virucidal and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Some of the essential oils can be harmful and should not be used such as the sassafras oil which was once used as a fragrance and flavoring agent but is now said to be carcinogenic and has been banned.
Aromatherapy associates is a well-known brand which makes one of the best aromatherapy products internationally. They have a wide variety of aromatherapy products such as essential oils, bath oils, face masks, revitalizing face oil, body gel, body cream, soaps, aromatic candles, skincare products etc. Aromatherapy is used in different range of settings such as the health spas, hospitals, wellness centers, retreats etc. Kerala and Rishikesh spas and retreats cater to some of the most amazing aromatherapy based massages and other aromatherapy services which are known to relieve anxiety and stress. They boost the immune system and are extremely rejuvenating. The aroma from these oils evokes positive thoughts and emotions in an individual thus helping in the healing of an ailment.